Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
What is the time commitment required to participate in the HGA Program?
This is a 10-month program that will begin in September 2023 and conclude in June 2024. Activities are virtual unless otherwise noted. In addition to the activities described below, HGA Fellows will need to dedicate 1-2 hours each month to email correspondence and be prepared to participate in other ad-hoc or networking activities as needed.
The minimum time and participant commitment entails:
- Attending (or watching recordings) for all Introduction to Science Policy & Advocacy Course sessions (September-October 2023)
- In-person participation in the Science Policy Symposium (October 24, 2023) and Capitol Hill Day (March 13, 2024), TBD; and
- Participation in at least 5 of the 8 monthly video conferences / virtual meetings (November 2023 – June 2024).
The Howard Garrison Advocacy Program Selection and Oversight Committee will have the ability to approve exceptions to the time commitment on a case-by-case basis.
What is the program schedule for 2023/2024 program?
- August 2023: 1-hour for orientation (date/time TBD)
- September 2023: 2 hours on 9/12, 9/19, and 9/26 (6:00 pm – 8:00 pm eastern) for Introduction to Science Policy & Advocacy Course, plus personal time to complete assignments.
- October 2023:
- 4 hours on 10/3 and 10/10 (3:00 pm – 7:00 pm eastern) for Introduction to Science Policy & Advocacy Course, plus personal time to complete assignments.
- Full day on 10/24 (9:00 am – 4:30 pm eastern) for in-person participation in FASEB’s 2023 Science Policy Symposium, plus travel time to Rockville, MD.
- November 2023 through June 2024: 2 hours each month for advocacy, communication, and professional skills training, plus personal time to review materials.
- March 2024: Full day (TBD) to participate in FASEB’s 2024 FASEB Capitol Hill Day in Washington, DC, plus travel time.
- One 2-hour monthly video conference/virtual meeting (November 2023 – June 2024) plus personal time required to review materials (will vary)